Tuesday 27 August 2013

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls, by Anton Di Sclafani

There was something about this book, right from the start that got me hooked. I couldn’t tell you exactly what it was, but from the moment I picked it up, I wanted to keep reading.

The storyline itself is quite simple – Thea has been sent away to the riding camp by her parents. At first we don’t know anything about the reasons why, only that Thea sees it as a punishment for something she has done. Whilst she gets to know the girls at the camp, Thea is able to enjoy herself surrounded by the riding that she loves so much. As the book progresses, we are given tantalising glimpses into Thea’s home life with her parents and her twin brother, and her aunt and uncle and cousin. Slowly we are drip fed information which helps us build up a picture of not only the life Thea lived before the camp but the series of events which led up to her being sent away.

I absolutely loved the style of writing of the book and found the descriptions of the people, the relationships and even of the camp to be brilliantly evocative. Even though I’m not a horse rider myself, I found myself carried away by Thea on the back of Sasi, her horse. I too wanted to ride in the mountain encircled ring at the camp and join the girls in their escapades. Whilst the background story to Thea’s arrival at the camp is not anything unusual, the slow and gradual reveal means that you become more and more enmeshed into Thea’s world and slowly you can see what she has lost, and gained.

This is a book to read again and again and each time enjoy just as much. A fantastic book from this author and I will definitely be looking out for future books by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment